Wednesday, July 23, 2008

EPIBLOGUE

Just like back in the days of “Quinn Martin” Productions on television
shows like “The FBI” and Twelve O’clock High”, after all was done there
was a brief “epilogue” after the commercial at the end of the show.

It’s been a while, but I finally have time for mine.
That it took this long
is a clear indication of how hard I am peddling now to keep up.

When Champ Car expired, it took a decent percentage of income away,
and I always wondered what life might be like without it. I finally got to
experience that, and it hasn’t been all bad nor all good, just different.

As I mentioned to several who asked as the CCWS was folding up,
'whatever changes come into my life because of this, they were
necessary’.
I am now an artist again for the foreseeable future and
a new focus on those efforts has seen me busier than I’ve ever been
on the drawing board. I have been almost non-stop since
Mexico City
last year, and at this writing there are still three commissions (from the
activities at the
Long Beach race) still left to execute before its off
toward the banquet pieces.

The Long Beach weekend was just like a dream. The CCWS closing
was announced in February and we got the call a few days later that
the officials would be rounded up just one more time to make it happen,
which I am truly thankful for. So we had all resigned ourselves to the
series being done. The weekend itself seemed like a dream where it
was all back together again. But on Monday morning we all woke from
the dream to remember it was indeed finished.

I want to thank the good people of Cal Club and all the other Marshals
from around the country and around the globe for putting up with the
odd circumstances.
All on track rules were Champ Car but the race
was run for IndyCar points. They all did their usual great jobs, quick was
the word and sharp was the action!
I wish you ALL could have been there.
At a pre-event breakfast, I was presented with a photomontage made by
Gail Fetterman outlining my career as a Marshal, Starter and Clerk that
was very welcome and touching to see.

One of the highlights of the weekend was the very last meeting of the
Champ Car Inner Circle Club on Saturday evening and organizers Bill
and Linda Wood went out of their way to invite as many special guests
as they could to stop by and say a few words. Among the show-ups
were Dale Coyne, Paul Tracy, Jimmy Vasser, Bruno Junquiera, Jeremy
Shaw, Tommy Kendall (who played Tracy’s straight man,) Bridgestone’s
Joe Barbieri, Chris Kneifel (who limited his F-bombs to only two,) JD
Wilbur, Race Control’s Brian Hughes and the inimitable and ever-stylish
Nelson Philippe. We were all thankful to show the fans how we felt and
thankful more for the faith they showed us in the last five seasons.
When asked my opinions about the future, I reminded everyone that
the last great shot of growth and innovation in this series was brought
about by Mr. Cotman.
He’s got a million and one ideas. When formed, the IRL had to be different by its very nature to offer something different from CART.

Now with the demise of Champ Car, there is no reason at all for
the new IndyCar series to be different anymore. They are the only
open wheel series in town!! I’m pretty confident they are looking at
more road and street events in the near future, and if they are smart
it will surely be onward and upward as far as our modern-day
economy (which is a far cry from the salad days of CART) will
allow it.

Am I eager to be a part of it? Damn-betcha! Remember I grew up in
Indiana! But the CCWS closure came so late that all plans for 2008
were firmly entrenched. As far as myself, I’m more than willing to
get back into a series in whatever capacity I can contribute. Tony
Cotman works for IndyCar and Beaux Barfield works for the ALMS,
and they both know what I can do. And you all too for that matter…
The Atlantic Series now continues under the IMSA sanction but
economy dictates meant no room for a traveling comm on the
roster which is no great surprise.

The Long Beach race itself went off well. Our two series owners finished
first and second. But the biggest wrinkle of the weekend came out of
our old nemesis, oval track weather. Tony Cotman, now with IndyCar
was given the task of Race Director for the weekend while the rest of
their crew were off at the Motegi event in
Japan (I liked the place but
the food was too damned squishy.)
Since the Japan race was on
Saturday afternoon there, (which was Friday nite in
Long Beach) Tony
invited Messrs. Tony George and Brian Barnhart to fly to Long Beach
after the race in Japan to sit in on our race control activities to see
what we could do. But Saturday’s race in

Japan
was rained out and was held Sunday, not leaving enough time
for the two to make it over. We found out just before the race started
that they weren’t coming, and it did take some wind out of the day.

As long as things keep happening on the race track, I’ll keep watching,
and I should have subjects to paint. I’ve left an awful lot of friends out
there. We will see what 2009 holds, but the result is more focus,
attention, and energy directed at my art and that’s been both a boon
and a blessing so far in 2008. I’ve often wondered if I could survive on
just the art and so far that’s a yes.
I see my wife more often, and
spend more time at home. After 18 seasons on the road, that part
of it is extremely welcome. Love and comfort can be found wherever
you look.

I just updated my website yesterday, and the latest offering is the
Mexico City finish from last year, which was the last race for the
CCWS that counted toward our series. I don’t get to paint myself
too often anymore since then starters stand days, but I’m very
happy with it. Please have a look when you have a chance
at
www.jimswintal.com !

Edmonton is coming up this weekend, and a good number of you
will be out there all three days, continuing to carry the torch forward.
I will miss being there for sure, and I’ll be watching at home with
timing and scoring info pouring into my laptop, waiting for the next
big deal. I shall join you again soon in one way or another.

Thanks for reading.

And as I often said over the landline on many exciting Sunday
afternoons: please work together, take care of each other out there, do
your best, don't forget to enjoy yourselves and God bless you all.


Over and out.

JHS